phone +1 604 628-6095
A varied work history coupled with eclectic hobbies has left me with a broad base of
experiences to apply to any new problem that is presented. The result has been
innovations in a wide variety of fields.
- Internationally recognized expertise in the recording and documentation of existing
structures for Industry, Heritage Recording and Archaeology.
- Expertise in Process Analysis, System Analysis, Computer Drafting & Design (CADD)
and in the related fields of Facilities Management (CAFM) and Geographic Information
- Experience in Software Design and Development including Computer Programming
for DOS, Windows and UNIX platforms using C/C++, LISP, Smalltalk and HTML.
- Familiar with a wide range of other computer software including: networking,
communications, image processing, spread sheets, word processors, database and
project management programs.
These tools have been used for a wide range of projects including:
- Created CART a set of Computer Aided Recording Tools that automatically generate
intelligent 3D models from a database of geometry.
- Adapted pulsed laser and electronic theodolite technology to field recording and
automated CAD modelling.
- Developed SIS, a small scale GIS for archaeology and invented measuring tools and
techniques that have been used in archaeological excavations in Greece, Jordan and
- Performed the programming (in C) of CARTHTM a bulk publisher which automatically
generates multi-lingual HTML documents from a data set consisting of text, images,
CAD drawings, database tables etc..
It is responsible for these (and most of the other pages at:
- Designed and supervised the C++ programming of the interface for the digital image
rectifier "ASRix", a stand alone Windows application used by Archaeologists and
Architects to get metric information from oblique photographs.
- Designed, developed and implemented a suite of data management and reporting
tools for archaeological excavations.
- The training of Heritage Recorders from around the world under the ICCROM ARIS
- Archaeological excavations in Canada, Jordan and Greece
- Study of the mosaics of the Eufrasiana Basilica - Porec, Croatia
- Structural assessment of the Church of San Jose - Puerto Rico
- Geometric Survey of St. Etienne Church - Nevers, France
- Mapping of the Bonito Caves - Corozal, Puerto Rico
- As found recordings of the Parliamentary Library and the Governor General and
Prime Minister's residences - Ottawa, Canada
- Damage assessment of the Rio Laplata Dam - Puerto Rico
Since 1990 I have been working as a freelance consultant specializing Heritage
Recording and I have taught the subject under the auspices of the ICCROM ARIS
courses in Rome. I have also been extensively involved in the design and development
of software in support of the recording and documentation of the built environment
including - Industrial, Architectural and Archaeological applications - and in the
implementation of CADD (Computer Aided Design and Drafting) and Database systems
for Facilities Management.
Clients have included:
McGovern Heritage Archaeological Associates (MHAA)
Croatian Preservation Institute and Wittenberg University (USA)
- System analyst, heritage recorder and surveyor responsible for the recording, 3D
mapping and HTML presentation of several excavations in and around the Canadian
capital, most notably on Parliament Hill.
- Development of a data management and presentation system for archaeological
Tern Solutions Group, Ottawa
- System analyst, photographer and surveyor responsible for the 3D mapping,
photography and HTML presentation of the mosaics of the Eufrasiana Basilica which
has now been inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Jordanian Department of Antiquities and University of Victoria (Canada)
- Worked as part of a team of analysts, designers, programmers, and CAD
personnel as they turned components of the CART system into "IFMS" an
Integrated Facility Management System using client/server architecture
to manage the systems of large buildings.
UMA Engineers, Canada and RJA Engineers, Puerto Rico
- System Analyst and Field Architect for the excavation of Humeima in Southern Jordan
responsible for the data and graphic intput from 65 archaeologists, specialists and
State Preservation Office of Puerto Rico and UMA / RJA Engineers
- Subterranean mapping of the Corozal Caves in preparation for highway design.
- Detailed recording of hurricane damage to the gates of the LaPlata Dam.
National Capital Commission (NCC) - Ottawa Canada
- Geometric survey of the Church of San Jose documenting earthquake damage.
- Detailed recording of the ruins of the Quanica Lighthouse
- Survey of the historic structures along the Carterra Central
Spencer Higgins Architects - Toronto, Canada
- As found recordings of the Governor General and Prime Minister's residences
Heritage Recording Services of Environment Canada
- As found recordings of St. Anne's Anglican Church in Toronto, the West Block and the
Parliamentary Library in Ottawa.
Bank of Canada - Department of Premises Management
- National CADD Implementation Officer responsible for the introduction of CADD to
the Architectural and Engineering Services
- Adaptation of CAD to extant recording and its integration with photogrammetry
- Conversion from manual to Computer Aided Facility Management (CAFM)
ICOMOS Canada (International Council on Monuments and Sites)
CIPA (International Committee for Architectural Photogrammetry)
- Chairman of the Recording and Documentation Committee
- Founding member and former chairman of the Communications Group
- Executive Board, ordinary member for ICOMOS (past)
- National delegate for Canada (past)
- Co-chairman of Working Group 6 - Surveying Methods for Heritage Recorders (past)
Bachelor of Arts (1995) - Deans' Honour List
Carleton University, Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies
(Classics, Archaeology, Art History, Computer Science)
- Director of CAD Operations, W. Loates + Associates, a Kanata, Ontario Architectural
firm, and the associated Dynar Architects Inc. Toronto
- AutoCAD Instructor for the Ottawa School Board and the Ottawa Carleton Industrial
- Organized and operated Nickerson & Associates Designed Building Systems Ltd., a
Design / Build construction company, managing the design, renovation and construction
of residential and light commercial buildings, emergency salvage operations and
consulting on passive solar design and CAD implementation.
- Photographer for the first navigation of the Beaver River (Yukon & BC) and the
Ottawa Civic Hospital (Medical Photographer)
- Research Technician for the Universities of Manitoba and Ottawa, Departments of
- English as a Second Language (ESL) tutor - Tokyo, Japan
Generated by: CART
(Wed Aug 06 13:20:41 2008